[conspire] ubuntu and b43 problems

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Nov 8 09:14:43 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 01:17:12AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ehud Kaldor (ehud.kaldor at gmail.com):
>
> > after sending, ran into the comment in here:
> > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
> > stating the LP-PHY cards need to install the proprietary Broadcom driver. is
> > that so? is there no way to use the open drivers?
>
> I've not commented because I have no recent knowledge of compatibility
> of the b43 driver with the most recent Broadcom chipsets.  However, I
> just wanted to point out that what you call the 'internal Broadcom
> BCM4312 LP-PHY rev1' appears to be on a miniPCI card.
>
> Which means that one obvious way around any driver problems would be to
> (1) yank the damned thing out and sell it, (2) put in a
> more-open-source-friendly miniPCI wireless card, and (3) profit.
>
> Going all the way back to the winmodem misadventure, I can't help
> noticing that a lot of Linux users misdefine the necessary and logical
> question as 'How do I make Linux support all the components currently in
> my machine?', when a better question is 'What's the best tradeoff of
> time versus money that makes me able to get desired functionality?'
>
> Disclaimer:  I have no idea what special driver issues the LP-PHY rev1
> variant may or may not pose.  I'm merely speaking to the general
> principle involved, that, if extremely recently released hardware
> chipsets (/revisions) are giving you apparent driver problems, maybe the
> most fruitful approach is to see the hardware as the problem, and
> replace it.

FWIW - I have been able to get that wifiless thingie to work in my HP
Mini and its been going without much trouble ever since.  I had to
download an updated driver and put it into the kernel, and change the
module loading by hand because the default broadcom was misidentified by
the system.

That was on SuSE 11.2

Ruben