[conspire] question regarding mounting the Seagate FreeAgent Go 1T drive

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Mar 28 22:10:09 PDT 2010

Quoting Darlene Wallach (freepalestin at dslextreme.com):

> I have Fedora 10 installed on my laptop I did not select automount
> stuff when I installed the software so I don't know if any automounter
> is installed.

No doubt you avoided installing autofs, but (last I heard) there's an
automount service process built into GNOME, just as there's one built
into KDE.

Anyhow, _you_ should be able to answer that question:  You apparently
somehow ended up with the NTFS partition mounted using the FUSE-based
NTFS driver.  Did you do that manually?  If you didn't, then by
definition it must have been an automounter that did so.  Makes sense,
right?

[mount options:]

> What about rw

That's a default.  Keep it simple.  ;->

> Should it be:
> mount -t ext3 -o rw,nosuid,nodev /dev/sdb1 /media/UUID-label
> Should I have mkfs.ext3 generate a UUID label?

Do you want one?

You're asking someone who (currently) doesn't like UUID labels much more
than he liked disk labels.  (UUIDs are both better and worse at the same
time.  On the plus side, you're astronomically unlikely to kernel panic
your system by putting two partitions with the same UUID into it and
trying to mount by UUID reference.  On the minus side, UUIDs are ugly
and excessively long.  Personally I find them to be a solution to a
non-problem, but Views Differ<tm>.)

> > Once you've tested that, _if_ you're planning on leving this drive
> > connected to the machine most/all of the time, then add a line to
> > /etc/fstab and let the startup routines take care of it for you.
>
> Fedora 10 uses hal so I don't know if I can modify fstab and have the
> changes stay. I thought it gets written over but may that has changed.

Gee, I hope it stays the way you put it.  If some piece of software
(after initial installation) presumed to overwrite my /etc/fstab, I'd be
really pissed off.  I don't think the suckage of freedesktop.org/GNOME
stuff has gotten that severe, anyway.

> It has been too long, where does the "noauto" go - before the 0 0,
> after the 0 0?

Yep, in the fourth field with all other optiosn.  "man 5 fstab"
clarifies, if you forget.