[conspire] Sugar in foodstuffs

Margaret Wendall mwendall at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 20:54:35 PDT 2010

Hi!

This may be OT, but the Mercury News has had several reports on the idea of
taxing sodas by the amount of sugar they contain to stop obesity.

It seems to me that the problem may not be "sugar" but the *kind* of sugar
they contain. I know that if I drink a normal Coke or Root Beer, I soon feel
thirstier than if I drank water. I don't get this when I drink a diet soda
and I buy Diet Rite because it's made with Splenda. I also have fewer
problems when I drink old-fashioned sodas that are made with sugar - not
"high fructose corn syrup." I keep a bottle of kosher cola in my fridge in
case I have a case of insulin shock.

I doubt this would stand up as scientific evidence, but it would be
interesting to know if the real problem is generic sugar or the chemically
modified corn syrup.

And, I'm in total agreement with those who don't think balsamic vinaigrette
needs sugar. I find it too sweet without sugar.

Margaret
--
Margaret Wendall
mwendall-at-gmail-dot-com