[conspire] Reliable 1.5TB SATA drives?

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Tue Jul 27 03:17:11 PDT 2010

Tony Godshall <tony at of.net> writes:
> > do you care about the data or the drive?  if you care about the data and
> > not the drive, the warranty shouldn't matter, as that doesn't help your data.
>
> That's B.S.  The warranty is the only real indicator we have of drive
> quality.  Because a manufacturer can't afford to put a long warranty
> on drives that they expect to fail within the time range- replacing a
> batch of bad drives isn't cheap.

huh.  so personally, I plan on a 3 year lifetime of my hardware, so I didn't
pay much attention to the 'warranty wars'  -  I thought that seagate
had reduced it's consumer warranty back to 3 years, so I verified.  No,
you are right and I am wrong... seagate has 5 year warranties on it's
baracuda, even the slow 5900rpm product.

The interesting thing I found, though, was that western digital /also/
has 5 year warranties, at least on it's 'black' product  (I think all the
wd drives I've used have either been re3 or 'black')
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=733

Now, I've lost a /whole lot/ of those 1.5tb seagate baracudas with 5 year
warranties.  the quality difference between those and the western digital
raid edition drives is huge.  (of course, at the price difference, you'd
expect that.)