[conspire] More Firefox Addon problems - this tie from MS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 2 13:28:13 PST 2010

Quoting Ed Biow (biow at sbcglobal.net):

> > http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=kicking#distro
> Rick, it might be time to consider updating those picks.

Yes, indeed!  I have to do that every few years.

Something Conspire readers might enjoy:
http://linuxgazette.net/171/firefox.html
   "The Gentle Art of Firefox Tuning (and Taming)"
     (shameless plug, since I wrote it)

> I ended up putting Mint Linux on that laptop, which I think would be
> an excellent candidate for your list.  It is often described as
> "Ubuntu with codecs"....

Yes.  You may recall that I keep downloading and burning it for
interested parties at CABAL meeetings, and keep getting no takers.  Odd.

> Rick, I remember when you could waltz in to Fry's and find a whole
> section of boxed distros with documentation, but I think that business
> model has largely been discontinued.

I've been meaning to check that.  The information is also needed on a
period basis for updating http://www.svlug.org/farm.php#local-vendors,
which is likewise in my care.

Anyone know who currently sells retail Linux distributions, locally?

> I guess MEPIS more or less fits the bill, but I have my
> reservations.

Same.  I'm actually thinking of just recommending Sidux, for that niche.
It really _isn't_ running sid; adding stability is pretty much one of
the cornerstones of what Sidux is about.