[conspire] another 'survey' - home VPN server

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Wed Dec 22 17:49:25 PST 2010

>> i'm looking to install a VPN server at home, so i can connect while away.
>> i'm not sure what the technical terminology is, but i'm looking to having
>> access to all machines on the network (get an IP on the network, assigned
>> by the DHCP server, i guess).  any recommendation? i am a bit familiar with
>> openVPN, but ...

> I've used OpenVPN for this, in several different organizations, with good
> success.  ...

Why are you looking for something else?  I've been OpenVPN in
production environments for nearly a decade- it is solid and stable.

Alternatively if you value security and don't really want to expose
one whole network to another, ssh tunneling works great for tunneling
specific services here and there.

Tony