[conspire] another 'survey' - home VPN server

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Dec 22 12:21:13 PST 2010

On 12/22/2010 03:06 PM, Ehud Kaldor wrote:
> i'm looking to install a VPN server at home, so i can connect while away.
> i'm not sure what the technical terminology is, but i'm looking to having
> access to all machines on the network (get an IP on the network, assigned by
> the DHCP server, i guess).
> any recommendation? i am a bit familiar with openVPN, but wondered if anyone
> has any experience with other, open source VPN products.

I've used OpenVPN for this, in several different organizations, with
good success.  It can be a little complicated to set up correctly (e.g.,
for having access to the machines on your network), but it's not that
awful to do (and there's good help to be found for this online), and
also really doesn't require much of any hand-holding once it's set up.

You can feel free to email me offlist if you have specific questions.

DR