[conspire] (forw) Re: Your web-site Causes Firefox to Download the Pages Instead of Viewing Them

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 25 01:39:40 PDT 2010

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> Rick Moen:
> > It's a rather subtle and unexpected bit of breakage that occurred
> > silently in consequence of the upgrade from Apache httpd version 2.2.9
> > to 2.2.16 on Debian.

> Yowch!  Was this the result of accepting an upstream config change, or
> was it caused by retaining prior system-local changes?

No to the former -- and my local system state for Apache2 is pretty
deliberately Debian-standard, because I am very much aboard with trying
to work with the system architecture and not attempt to fight it.  So,
basically, yes to the latter.

> That strikes me as worth filing a bug about.  Anything that requires
> editing mods-available files (where I presume your userdir.conf actually
> symlinks) just to retain basic functionality seems wrong to me.

When I get back, I'll see if I can.

> In Debian it is often helpful to keep all your local changes in
> sites-available stubs, with symlinks in sites-enabled.

I do.  I'm _really_ careful to not attempt to twist the Debian setup
away from the way I believe the package maintainers intended it to be
used.

> This is one reason I tend to debug apache changes with lynx and
> /usr/bin/HEAD from the libwww-perl package, or try a browser I normally
> won't use (such as chromium).

Good idea.  At $WORK, I actually often use Konqueror as a half-assed
gesture at that role (instead of Iceweasel/Firefox).