[conspire] CABAL meeting tomorrow (also, webmail security discussed here)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Sep 11 15:37:22 PDT 2009

Quoting Jean Philippe Granchi (granchijp at gmail.com):

> It's a very good point but my concern is:
> What if you loose your PDA, would you remember that your mother is from
> a Magellanic Cloud ?
> You do Backup on a PC ?

To as many PCs as I reasonably can.  ;->

> I like to access Passwords from my computers so right now I use KeePassX
> (Linux, Windows, OpenSolaris) (http://www.keepassx.org)....

Thank you for the additional suggestion.

Not intending to be the least bit critical of KeePassX or Password
Gorilla, but by coincidence of personal history I happen to know the
original developer of Keyring, Martin Pool (http://sourcefrog.net/), and
have very high confidence in his coding abilities.  (He's a ex-Samba and
rsync developer, IIRC, and primary author of Bazaar.)

Whenever you're talking about security-sensitive software, you want
deliberately simple code without featuritis.  Keyring fits the bill.

I notice (from browsing his blog) that Martin's quite impressed with his
new HTC Magic Android smartphone.  Might look into that, the OpenMoko
being more of a lost cause all the time.