[conspire] CABAL for tomorrow

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 23 19:58:10 PDT 2009

I wrote:

> $ find {/home/rmoen/isos,/isos} -maxdepth 1 -name '*iso' -print | sort
> /home/rmoen/isos/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso
> /isos/CentOS-5.4-i386-bin-DVD.iso
> /isos/openbsd-install-4.6-i386.iso
> /isos/openbsd-install-4.6-x86_64.iso
> /isos/pup-431.iso
> /isos/ubuntu-9.10-rc-alternate-amd64.iso
> /isos/ubuntu-9.10-rc-alternate-i386.iso
> /isos/ubuntu-9.10-rc-desktop-amd64.iso
> /isos/ubuntu-9.10-rc-desktop-i386.iso

Also downloaded and burned:

Ubuntu Server 9.10 RC for i386
Ubuntu Server 9.10 RC for x86_64
Ubuntu 9.10 RC Network Remix i386 (Intel Atom)

The latter is for the benefit of a fellow who'll probably be visiting
with an Acer Aspire One that currently has Ubuntu 9.04.  He says that,
at one point in the past, he upgraded packages (or something like that)
and support for the Aspire One's Synaptics trackpad broke.  He says that
USB-connected rodentia still work.

I directed him to a Web page that details the problem and its fixes, but
he's a bit daunted by carrying out its recommendations by himself (being
new to Linux), and so will be seeking our help.

I wrote back to him offering the use of the Network Remix v. 9.10 RC
image as an alternative approach.