[conspire] No more GNU HP Minis

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Nov 5 16:10:49 PST 2009

Carl Myers wrote:
> I think the disconnect here is there are two separate usecases.
>
> 1. People who use a computer as a "dumb tool" for web browsing, email,
> productivity, and the occasional fancy thing like "burn CDs" or
> "download/listen to music".
>
> 2. People who USE a computer to accomplish anything they want.  People who read
> man pages, write scripts and/or code, search out programs to accomplish tasks,
> possibly programs they've never used before, and if they can't find one, they
> write or modify an existing one.
>
> What Rick is saying (I think, correct me if I am wrong - and I think I agree) is
> that it is not his goal to have every person with usecase #1 running GNU/Linux.
> His goal (again, I am interpreting, so apologies if I misunderstand) is to help
> people with usecase #2 discover that GNU/Linux is a great way to solve their
> problem and share their work with others.  Stand on the shoulders of giants and
> benefit everyone.  People in usecase #2 care about where software comes from and
> they care about the control they can exercise over it - "will I be able to
> modify this program in the future?" is a question they might ask.

Ask yourself this:  How many GNU/Linux users have actually contributed
code to any significant programs in the GNU world?  Less than 1% might
be the right answer.

> People in usecase #1 will never ask that question.  People in usecase #1 want it
> to "just work".  Now it sounds to me like Rubin is a user in usecase #2, but for
> this particular machine, he has decided he wants usecase #1 simplicity.
>
> Additionally, he feels like socially everyone in usecase #1 should also be using
> GNU/Linux for some reason.

For ever specific and critical reasons, that is for the human race which
I outlines and have written about all across the internet and the paper
world.

I have a question:  See this video
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/mp3.1/Safir3.mov
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/mp3.1/Safir1.mov
http://www.mrbrklyn.com/mp3.1/safir2.mov

Are these in users group 1 or 2?

> Probably because later, when he wishes his purchase
> was actually for usecase 2, he will be able to have his cake and eat it too.
>
> I agree in that I too wish GNU/Linux solved usecase #1 better than proprietary
> alternatives, and frankly, it is closer today than it ever was (in terms of
> solving the use case, not in terms of availability, which is what started this
> whole discussion).  I hope that some day GNU/Linux can and does solve usecase
> #1.  I hope that companies like microsoft will stop expending precious resources
> trying to make a non-free operating system when a perfectly good free one
> exists, and maybe they can get a clue and a better business model and solve new
> problems instead of finding new and terrible ways to fail to solve old ones
> which GNU/Linux has already solved better.
>
> But I don't think it is my job to make that happen.  I am a minority.  I am one
> of you.  I won't use a preinstalled OS because nobody will preinstall an OS the
> way I want it (plus the very good reasons Rick already listed).  All I can do is
> ensure I don't pay any money in support of operating systems I won't use.  I can
> educate users in usecase 1 and try to turn them into users in usecase 2, but
> some people will never be usecase 2 material.  Trying to force users in usecase
> 1 to use GNU/Linux before there is a GNU/Linux distro ready that really solves
> that usecase is only going to make them think badly of it.

GNU/Linux has been ready for general public usage since RH 5 and SuSE
5.  There is nothing it doesn't you and the obstruction of it from being
THE general use desktop system for the public has been purposeful
disruption, and stupidity on part of the community, which includes IBM,
Novell, Bruce Perens and RMS.  I must have written an encyclopedia
already on the troubles with Vertical Application building , business
modeling and DRM politics which has prevent non-slaveware, free
software, from broad adoption.

And it seems if I ever contribute anything important to the Free
Software community it will be to convince people that EVERYONE needs a
Free Operating System to work on...if they want to live in freedom.

> I would guess that
> is why no company has *really* tried to compete in that market.  Dell computers
> with preinstalled linux - system76 machines, and any other machine with
> pre-installed linux (except some andriod phones and the occasional netbook
> running some crazy simplified linux-based GUI) are all geared towards usecase 2.
>
> I guess what I am saying is, I understand where you are coming from now Rubin,
> but I'm not sure how constructive it is for "the cause".  You guys have been at
> this way longer than me though, so please feel free to enlighten me =)

http://www.nylxs.com/events/biggertent.txt

http://www.nylxs.com/pathfromhere.html

Reuvain