[conspire] Help with GRUB

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Wed Nov 4 23:20:48 PST 2009

> So I gave the commands:
> root(hd0)
> setup(hd0,4)
> quit

Um, inside grub it's...
  1. root (partition where /boot/grub lives in grubspeak)
  2. setup (drive where you want grub to install the mbr)
>From your description I'd assume you'd translate this to:
  1. root (hd0,4)
        ... which should say if it found its /boot/grub stuff
including the /boot/grub/menu.lst that describes the operating systems
it can boot and then
  2. setup (hd0)
        ... which should set up the primary drive's MBR to load the
bootloader bits of grub from (hd0,4)
I think you got them backwards...

Best Regards.
Tony

PS: to get a shell in Ubuntu or pretty much any Gnome or KDE Linux,
you can hit Alt-F2 to get the "run a command" thingy and then type
"xterm".  Xterm is the old standard X Terminal program that does all
the copy and paste stuff the Unix way (left-drag puts text "sudo bash"
to get into the I-can-fubar-my-system-really-easily mode.