[conspire] Partitioning

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Mar 30 17:44:03 PDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org> -----

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:28:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul Zander <paulz at ieee.org>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: Quick PC HW advice.

Rick,

Thanks for advice. Now a more detailed question: how to set up disk
partitions on new machine. It will have 3 magnetic drives:

500 GB SATA  (new)
120 GB IDE  (has lotsa existing data files in several partitions)
200 GB IDE  (more existing data files)

The new drive will get a partition for installation of "closed source"
OS. Probably another partition for installation of programs on said
closed source OS.

Elsewhere assorted partitions for Linux install. Assorted partitions for
data and copies of data from other disk. Most of the data partitions
should be formatted so all OS's can read them. For example, I can
imagine having Thunderbird on both OS's and configured to assess same
mail and address files.

The final details will probably be worked out during the next
InstallFest, but I don't want to get things going in the wrong direction
and have to be undone.

BTW, I will miss most of the Wednesday meetings for the next many
months. My sailing season also starts on April 1st, no joke.

Paul