[conspire] dsl 4 linux in sunnyvale

Jose Medeiros jose.medeiros at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 18:58:55 PDT 2009

Greetings,

I had Sonic.net and was very pleased with the DSL service and
Technical Support which is in Santa Rosa. Sonic does not require PPPoE
based authentication, and also allow's you to enable a firewall on
your incoming network port's / connections via there web interface.
They also provide you a free word press website.

 My only gripe with Sonic was that I bought the low cost plan of 14.99
with 768 down/ 256 up and since I am approximately 17,000 feet from
the the COLO / DSLAM, and that is the fastest speed offered at the
moment. My only gripe with Sonic is that after a year, the plan rate
was changed to 39.00 per month, however once I called them and
complained, they lowered the price to 19.99 so I give the cudo's for
that.

The next month someone on the Apple SVMUG users list posted an email
that AT&T was offering DSL for 10.00.  I ended up switching to AT&T as
they had low cost DSL service 768/256 with a 2 year lock due to the
Bell South Merger and as FTC requirement, however after my 2 years is
up, I'll probably switch back to Sonic. although AT&T has been very
reliable, and my only gripe is the long hold times for  Tech support.

About three years ago I had Comcast, and the speed was close to 4mb's
on the download, but the upload was only about 128k, and caused my
Skype VOIP calls to echo, and or drop, so I learned not to open a web
browser or download any thing while I am making a call.

My only gripe with Comcast is the cost. If would have offered service
for 19.99 with out raising the rate to 49.99 I would have never
switched.

Regards,

Jose :-)