[conspire] receive faxes via email

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Tue Mar 3 22:15:59 PST 2009

Well, my free efax.com fax number that I set up in 2008 expired, and so
I needed set up a new one. I rarely get faxes, but seeing as I'm con-
ducting a job hunt and don't own a fax machine, nor a landline, I want
to be able to receive them should I need to.

It turns out that that is still possible with efax.com:

    eFax Free Account (hidden web page)

Messages are emailed to you in the proprietary .efx format, but:

1.  One can also view them in one's (graphical) browser at the efax.com
    "Message Center":

    eFax Message Center

2.  One can find an old but still perfectly functional version of
    efaxviewer.exe at:

    What's an EFX file and how do I open one?

    Which works perfectly well under wine-1.0.1-174-gc4039bd under
    Debian 5.0 testing. This is an installer which installs eFaxView.exe
    [eFax Messenger Version 2.0 (Build 7)] under
    $HOME/.wine/drive_c/windows/, or your equivalent.

To test this fax->email setup, one can use the free email->fax service
at faxZERO:

    faxZERO - Send a fax for free

, which I learned of from Kevin Savetz's still extant FAQ:

    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

I would have used TPC's venerable remote printing service:

    The Phone Company's Remote Printing Service

, but my new efax.com fax number wasn't in their coverage area.

Info forwarded FYI. If anyone has any cleaner or better solutions to
this problem, I'm all ears.

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance." --Charles Darwin

Eric De Mund   | Ixian Systems           | Jab: eadixian at jabber.org/main
ead at ixian.com  | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | Y!M: ead0002
ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | ICQ: 811788