[conspire] (non-Linux, but CABAL-relevant:) A word from our kitchen

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Jun 15 22:21:10 PDT 2009

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> You might want to read more about tofu, which is most definitely not
> fermented, merely coagulated. I do not know whether you will decide
> that it is unhealthful, but whichever choice you make, it should be
> based on facts.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu#Production

Good to know.  I appreciate the correction.  (Deirdre said that, as well,
but I thought I remembered otherwise, and clearly was mistaken.)

A small amount of it in one's diet is probably fine (for most people,
e.g., not those with thyroid deficiencies).  Commentators I've
seem seem to say that soy _in general_ was never a staple in any
traditional culture's diet:  It was just something added that wasn't
difficult to produce or come by, and thus was cheap.  So, the toxins in
unfermented tofu (e.g., the component that chemically emulates estrogen)
were probably never a significant issue, as people weren't using it as a
primary foodstuff.

I note that there _are_ fermented sub-varieties of tofu (e.g., the
pickled variety), although the general run of the stuff turns out not to
be so.