[conspire] (real) Installfest in a Box

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:40:28 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Rick Moen<rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):
>> The idea you mentioned on Sunday at the table at
>> http://www.berkeleylug.com struck a chord.  Can you outline this idea?
>
> Probably later when I have time.

I think that was a good general outline and a good description on the
reasons for it: dhcpd, PXE, Linux install images, web pages (maybe
printable) that have information how to choose a distro, PXE
boot/bootable helper CD instructions and "now what" information as
well as (ideally) a burned copy of the installed distro itself to take
home with them so they can try to reinstall themselves.

A not totally unrelated system that's in production use is the
accrc.org install system that is also used at the KIPP SF Bay Academy
lab.

Did I correctly recall the name "Installfest in a Box" from the other day?

If a project were created to produce this system and it were to
continue past the necessarily extensive testing phase, what distro
would you prefer to use as a base? Debian?  I would like to particpate
in it's development.

Grant