[conspire] July schedule posted

Tony Godshall tony at of.net
Tue Jul 7 10:50:29 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > On the bright side, PHP iCalendar solves a bunch of other problems.
> > My installed version, 0.9.4 beta, is ancient.  The current 2.31 release
> > (notably) supports the user's choice of RSS version 0.91, 1.0, and 2.0,
> > [and thus] neatly sidesteps that religious issue.
> >
> > I've never used http://linuxmafia.com/calendar/ as part of my production
> > environment, just as something I've played with -- but that can easily
> > change.
>
> I've just set up PHP iCalendar 2.31 (latest release) in a different
> directory (http://linuxmafia.com/cal), and there are a couple of
> disappointments:
>
> 1.  It's ridiculously slow.  As a page load on my local LAN,
> http://linuxmafia.com/cal/month.php?cal=bale takes four seconds, whereas
> http://linuxmafia.com/calendar/month.php?cal=bale (v. 0.9.4 beta) is a
> much more reasonable fraction of a second.
>
> 2.  http://linuxmafia.com/cal/ somehow misparses and garbles its display
> of the contents of the bale.ics data file's SUMMARY field, making a mess
> of each BALE event.
>
> The way things stand, I'm rather likely to stick with the beta.

Interesting.

So you want the calendar generated dynamically?

Why?

I would have set up make to build a static html version of the calendar
anytime its vcalendar source file changed.  That way the webserver is light
and fast and static.

You only need dynamicism if the calendar is read-write, no?  I've certainly
set up webcalendar's icalendar support for that (with thunderbird +
lightning- not 100% satisfactory).  But in this instance, you want a
easy-to-maintain icalendar file that others have RO access to (a simple http
url) plus an HTML version of same for the web page.

Or perhaps I am kicking words into your mouth.

Tony