[conspire] Sat, 1/10 Installfest/RSVP

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 13 03:50:46 PST 2009

Quoting Nick Moffitt (nick at zork.net):

> (UTF-8 is the *present*, not the future).

You're correct in that statement, and it's irrelevant that I think it
sucks.

I aspire to have my systems able to handle UTF-8 and also worse things,
though I reserve the right to convert where feasible for my own purposes
to something less unpleasant and less likely to trigger input validation
errors in parsing code, such as ISO/IEC 8859-15 (Latin-9, aka
Latin-1-the-way-it-should-have-been-with-the-Euro-symbol).

In the current state of affairs, if you assert that something is screwy
in my personal processing for mail purposes of $WHATEVER_CHARSET_YOU_USE,
I'll be prepared to believe you but have technical obstacles in the way
of investigating:  My MUA runs (only) on my headless server and MTA box,
running 24x7 under GNU screen.  In turn, that gets reached from
$WHATEVER_SSH_CLIENT_I_AM_IN_FRONT_OF, whose terminal emulation is
whatever it is, and native charset is whatever it is.

Consequently, if you assert that something between me and my MTA is
processing your funny crypto-Unicode characters in some undesirable way,
I'd have a real treasure hunt trying to track down where that is
allegedly happening, and figuring out what to do about it.  And also, of
course, in general somewhat higher priorities than attempting that.