[conspire] How much memory each process is taking up

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Feb 24 17:37:55 PST 2009

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Thanks for the pointer, and your posts. Very useful. Solves a problem of
> mine: How to be able to get things done when I need to use my circa 1998
> Type 2645-51U ThinkPad 600 having only 128 MB RAM.

Yeah, that machine _would_ need care in pruning stuff down.  ;->

As you'll have seen, even with my relative care not to run cruft, and
use of a relatively modest window manager (Window Maker), I still
_could_ and should lose a few clunkers:

acpid
dbus-daemon / dbus-launch

ssh-agent is non-essential (but convenient), and, honestly, hardly
anyone ever actually uses "atd" -- though the ability to say "at teatime..."
to schedule a command to run at 4PM is Just Too Cool.  (By contrast,
don't try to do without crond.  It's essential.)

> Of course, the elephant in the room is still Firefox/Iceweasel, but at
> least I've got some room now to turn that elephant in a circle. (I
> couldn't seem to find BrowseX as a debian package....

Hmm, the BrowseX guys aren't making it very easy, and there is indeed no
Debian package.  Looks like the best way to get it is to do a CVS
checkout and compile it.  My recollection (having done that a couple of
years back) is that the build operation is very fast, simple, and
unproblematic, because it's a small codebase in C and tcl.

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=27901

On Debian/*buntu, you'll want to install metapackage "build-essential"
to facilitate software builds.

> Also thanks for the side mention of such tools as centerim and
> irssi. I've recently been meaning to go in search of something like
> centerim, a console-based IM client if I understand correctly.

Yes.  Please see:  http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/im.html
I'm really stoked about centerim.  It does things right.  I still use
irssi for IRC, by preference, though.

> A question for yuo, though, seeing as you too appear to be a fan of console-
> based tools: What do you get out of Thunderbird? I'm an rxvt+Emacs+VM
> guy, myself, for all my emailing needs.

Eh, partly it was a matter of laziness, as I came back from being in
Europe on holiday and found that there was a new mail setup, at a
particular firm, that required me to set up for a particularly odd IMAP
setup very quickly, and I knew that Thunderbird would be an easy job.
Also, I'd never used it and was curious.