[conspire] How much memory each process is taking up

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Tue Feb 24 17:12:59 PST 2009

Rick,

Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>:
] Here's a really good mailing list post, also from 2003, about how to
] chase down memory usage on Linux:
] http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-mm/2003-03/msg00077.html
] I'm pleased to note that my own posts have covered much of the same
] territory, but the cited post, by "Jake Dawley-Carr", seems quite
] authoritative.

Thanks for the pointer, and your posts. Very useful. Solves a problem of
mine: How to be able to get things done when I need to use my circa 1998
Type 2645-51U ThinkPad 600 having only 128 MB RAM.

I've switched from XFce4 to fluxbox, I've removed unnecessary daemons
(e.g. tor), I've cut out all but 2 getty processes, and I'm now seeing
noticeably less memory being used. (Thank you for that "M" trick in
top(1), regarding which I just came across this bit in the man page:
"Since this is primarily a service to former top users, these commands
do not appear on any help screen". Arg.) Of course, the elephant in the
room is still Firefox/Iceweasel, but at least I've got some room now to
turn that elephant in a circle. (I couldn't seem to find BrowseX as a
debian package, and for now I'm not pressed enough to need to try Dillo,
Minimo, Hv3, or any of the other lightweight browsers mentioned on:

    Lightweight Browser Rundown
    http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2007/10/02/lightweight-browser-rundown/

.)

Also thanks for the side mention of such tools as centerim and
irssi. I've recently been meaning to go in search of something like
centerim, a console-based IM client if I understand correctly. A ques-
tion for yuo, though, seeing as you too appear to be a fan of console-
based tools: What do you get out of Thunderbird? I'm an rxvt+Emacs+VM
guy, myself, for all my emailing needs.

Regards,
Eric
--
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.

Eric De Mund   | Ixian Systems           | Jab: eadixian at jabber.org/main
ead at ixian.com  | 650 Castro St, #120-210 | Y!M: ead0002
ixian.com/ead/ | Mountain View, CA 94041 | ICQ: 811788