[conspire] Unbound and DHCP on home computer

Nick Moffitt nick at zork.net
Sat Dec 19 05:14:54 PST 2009

Rick Moen:
> In this one case, you really didn't necessarily even need for the
> Unbound process to die ("stop") and get relaunced ("start"); you
> fundamentally would have been happiest of you could just get the
> running daemon process to re-read its configuration file from disk.
> _Most_ daemons can be prodded into doing so by sending them a
> different signal called 'HUP' aka SIGHUP, which is short for 'hang
> up', and is the kill command's signal #1 (see 'man kill' for more).
> So, you could have tried:
>
> 1.  Add the ACL to unbound.conf
> 2.  sudo kill -1 unbound

Taking this one step further, most init scripts for daemons that honor
this sort of live-reconfigure request will provide a "reload" action.
The init script for unbound does not, which I would consider a bug worth
filing either by running "ubuntu-bug unbound" or upstream in the Debian
bug tracker (since unbound's package is part of Universe, all of which
is minimal modification to and rebuilds of Debian's packages).

Of course, if it turns out that unbound simply doesn't honor SIGHUP or
any other mechanism for live reload (such as Apache's apache2ctl or
BIND's rndc utilitiy), that's a bug to push even further upstream toward
the authors of unbound.

--
"No, I ain't got a fax machine!  I also ain't got an
Apple IIc, polio, or a falcon!"