[conspire] Unbound and DHCP on home computer

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 15 15:23:58 PST 2009

Quoting Roger Chrisman (roger at rogerchrisman.com):

> Studying "man dig" I read that, in dig "Recursion is automatically
> disabled when the +nssearch or +trace query options are used."

This is understandable if you know _why_ you would use dig's +trace
flag, and know what the DNS recursion bit means:  The whole idea of
"+trace" is to make the target DNS nameserver (the one you specify using
the "@" parametre, or, absent that, picked by your local resolver
library by trying entries in resolv.conf until one responds) _itself_
work through the delegation tree, rather than handing off the task to
another nameserver with the recursion bit set -- which signifies "Go
chase this down _for_ me, and don't come back until you've recursed
through the entire delegation tree on my behalf and come up with either
an answer or a timeout".

> But adding +recurse to +trace I still get the same very short report.

Maybe your distro has, for some wacky reason, compiled /usr/bin/dig to
assume the "+short" flag by default -- or for some reason you have a
~/.digrc per-user configuration file (in your home directory),
specifying a set of default flags for the utility if run by your user.

You might want to cross-check, if curious, by adding "+noshort" to the
prior example command.