[conspire] corrected to HP LaserJet4M Plus Re: HP LaserJet4 - CUPS lists printer twice

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Aug 29 22:12:00 PDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 07:48:31PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
>
> > Last I checked, dhcpd uses more memory to serve a
> > larger range of addresses, even if you have the same
> > number of actual clients.  It's a good idea to set a
> > "range" in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf that's big enough
> > for the number of clients you expect, but you don't
> > need to give it the whole /24 or whatever you have
> > for your home network.  So that leaves you a block
> > of addresses to assign manually.
>
> Yes, for a home network, I'd typically just give it ten IPs.
> If it runs out, it'll tell syslogd, and you'll know.  (Increase the
> allocation, and don't forget to restart dhcpd.)

FWIW, my house is already using 18 devices and counting, not including
installfests.

6 individual computers for the kids, 3 laptops, 2 printers, 2 servers,
my entertainment center in the livingroom, the kitchen machine used
largley as an intercom system, and for morning news and mail reading,
the phone, the cisco router to the DSL line, and my test-play machine.

Ruben