[conspire] curious as to why Seagate would offer a 1.5T external hard drive with only USB 2.0

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Mon Apr 13 16:16:06 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-13 at 15:53 -0700, Eric De Mund wrote:
> Rick,
>
> ] > I normally use the backplanes on my supermicros, but it would be
> ] > convienient to transfer a terribyte or two using my car, at times.
> ]
> ] There are times when you just can't beat the bandwidth of a car full
> ] of recorded media -- even if the latency does suck ass.
>
> You might have been subconsciously drawing on this quotation from (at
> least) the 1990s:
>
>     "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of
>     tapes." --Dr. Warren Jackson, Director, UTC

Through the 1980s at Sprint, the network communication company where I
worked, we would load a van in Burlingame once a week with 6250 bpi
tapes which were driven to our Rancho Cordova (Sacamento) data center
where the tapes would be used to create billing records. We're talking
about 100 to 120 tapes/week. We used to kid about that 'bandwidth of a
van full of tapes' in the early 1980s.

Mark