[conspire] curious as to why Seagate would offer a 1.5T external hard drive with only USB 2.0

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Mon Apr 13 12:29:27 PDT 2009

Darlene Wallach <freepalestin at dslextreme.com> writes:
> When I bought the 400G external hard drive a few years ago I bought a
> MacAlly enclosure for it. I agree with your points about your
> experience. It just seemed $139 for a 1.5T Seagate drive with a 5-year
> warranty is a good deal. When I buy another external hard drive, I'll
> most likely buy a Seagate and an MacAlly enclosure.

Just a comment on hard drive prices (I've been buying a whole lot
for prgmr.com lately)   -  for several weeks in a row, Frys sold
1.5TB seagates for $117.   (woo, looking at Fry's.com, it looks like
they are doing it again.   I don't know if that is the in store price,
but I just bought 1 not five minutes ago for 'in-store pickup'   grr.
limits.   Well, often on Friday, the 'online only' deals become deals
you can get in store, and my experience has been that the frys sales
people are quite hapy to sell you more than the limit on 'limit 1' items,
if you let them punch it into their sales system.)

I'll check out the MacAlly enclosures.   I normally use the backplanes
on my supermicros, but it would be convienient to transfer a terribyte
or two using my car, at times.