[conspire] curious as to why Seagate would offer a 1.5T external hard drive with only USB 2.0

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sun Apr 12 21:21:23 PDT 2009

On Sunday 12 April 2009 14:25:43 Darlene Wallach wrote:
> Costco has a 1.5T Seagate brand external hard drive. The enclosure
> only has USB 2.0.
> Costco also has a Western Digital MyBook external hard drive. The
> enclosure has USB 2.0,  firewire 400, and eSata.
>
> Too bad Seagate doesn't offer an enclosure with choices. Are they just
> keeping costs down?
>
> I'm assuming firewire 400 and eSata would be faster than USB 2.0.
>
> Darlene Wallach

I've had good luck recently buying MacAlly external enclosures and then
picking the drive I like (Seagate). You may remember when a member of our
community researched the chipsets in the MacAlly enclosures and found them
quite compatible with Linux. My experience bears that out. Personally I would
rather buy a MacAlly and a Seagate for a few dollars more and get the good
components than get a ready made external drive.

http://macally.com

OTOH, the stuff at Costco might work for you and might be cost-effective.

--
Mark Weisler   PGP: 0x68E462B6  http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/