[conspire] Comments on setting up disk partitions.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Apr 8 15:46:58 PDT 2009

Supplying the missing footnote:

> Having created such a partition (and I'm talking about using standard
> tools such as /sbin/fdisk[1]), one can then subdivide the space thus
                            ^
> described -- the drive cylinders allocated to the extended partition --
> among data-bearing partitions dubbed "logical" partitions.  _Those_ can
> be mounted.  They get device names starting with /dev/sda5 and up.

[1] /sbin/fdisk ("fdisk") is a very old, user-hostile command-line
utility, that has the virtue of giving you complete control and being
utterly reliable.  Most distro installers steer you away from fdisk
towards one of several more warm-fuzzy replacements.  Many of those
suppress the display of extended partitions when you create them,
showing only the logical drives you create within them.  Some have other
quirks, like rearranging your filesystems' order as you work on them.

I personally prefer to just boot my live CD of choice (currently Sidux),
and use fdisk.

fdisk cannot handle filesystems over 2 terabytes.  For that, you need
a newer program, "parted".