[conspire] Comments on setting up disk partitions.

jim jim at well.com
Sat Apr 4 17:30:35 PDT 2009

   i try to think about what i want to back up and
ensure that partitions for commonly changed files
exist in size and number to allow copies.

   i try to remember that copies may be copies of
degraded or otherwise corrupt, unwanted stuff. thus
i have live stuff on the expected partitions, and
on backup partitions i have OLD, OLDER, OLDEST,
and CRUFT (directories, in this case, though they
could be partitions) and for every backup copy
OLDEST to CRUFT, OLDER to OLDEST, OLD to OLDER, and
live to OLD.

   i've got partitions for libraries and commands in
the event i suspect some libraries and commands may
have been co-opted as part of a root kit: i can
overwrite by copying. i've never used them, but
they're there, just in case.

   these days i use usb sticks. my total ubuntu server
system is under 2GB (no media files, no big databases),
though i've got the partitions on the hard drives as
well.