[conspire] Warning to domain owners: renewal/transfer scam

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 29 21:00:04 PDT 2008

Quoting roger at rogerchrisman.com (roger at rogerchrisman.com):

> I concur. I got something like that via USPS paper mail several months
> ago regarding one of my domains and addressed to me the way I and my
> domain are openly registered and not from the registrar I use. Seemed
> like a poor deal -- $75.00 for one years registration or something
> similarly ridiculous. It read very similar to the email you quoted. I
> tossed it. Thanks for the warning.

You're welcome.  I was trying very hard to avoid making factual
allegations about the cited specific domain registrar that I'm not
prepared to prove in court.  (I'd urge interested parties to just do the
obvious Web searches, and draw your own conclusions.)

However, just one aspect of that situation that I have a premonition
about:  Suppose a registrar had, as the basic foundation of its
business, the ploy of tricking domain owners into becoming its
customers through deceptive notices that resemble domain renewals, and
then charging outrageously high renewal fees.

I'd speculate against very high odds that the firm's rate of good-faith
compliance with customers' attempts to transfer domains _out_ of that
firm to elsewhere would be... abysmal.  Wouldn't you?  You'd be
carefully kept trapped there.

Again, there are claims.  I cannot speak to their factual accuracy, but
think the surrounding situation speaks for itself.