[conspire] (forw) Re: Saturday's Cabal

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 25 17:50:59 PDT 2008

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:50:36 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: terry wilson <ecycle at linuxmail.org>
Cc: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: Saturday's Cabal

Quoting terry wilson (ecycle at linuxmail.org):

> Hi Rick,
> Terry Wilson here. Glad to see you're having the Linux
> gathering again. I plan to be at your house Saturday, about
> 1pm. Bruce Parmenter may show up also.

Sounds great.  I'll be there -- and please bear in mind that people are
welcome to come and go any time from 1 pm to midnight.  (Official
closing time is 9pm, but I don't kick people out.)

> We had talked about me getting Flash media and FlashBlock.

Yes.  There are standardised ways of properly retrofitting the
Adobe/Macromedia proprietary Flash interpreter and browser plugin to
most i386 Linux distributions -- which is a better alternative to just
running the Adobe installer "naked", which of course also works.

When I say "properly", I mean using a wrapper/installer suitable for
your distribution that makes sure the various pieces of the Adobe
software land install in _reasonable_ places and fashions, rather than
merely the way Adobe decided they should.

I hear good things about Noscript, as an alternative to Flashblock.
http://noscript.net/

The name notwithstanding, it doesn't totally forbid/block script-driven
content (Flash, Javascript, Java, various plugins), but instead lets you
pick/whitelist what content to allow.  I think I'd go with that.

> I also need a download manager, my ISP kicks me off after 4 hours.

I don't know about such things, but maybe someone else does.

----- End forwarded message -----