[conspire] reasonable full-rack Co-location (anyone use SVTIX?)

Luke S Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Thu Sep 18 23:34:07 PDT 2008

So, I'm needing new co-lo space.  I'm currently at he.net.  They are
OK, I guess.  My international customers seem to be pretty impressed with
my latency, and I like the native IPv6.   my reseller, (if you buy less
than a full rack at he.net, you usually go through a reseller)  well, he's
a nice guy.[1]    The problem is that power is my limiter, and he.net will
only sell you 15A circuts (that's only 1125 watts usable.  A compitent
admin is never going to go above 75% of a circuts rated capacity, so we are
talking fitting 8 or 9 of my 1U servers in that full rack.)  at the
freemont location where I am, and they were full last time I asked anyhow.

(now, no two ways about it.  He.net is a cheap provider.   you can hear the
whine of the alarms on the failed PDUs as you walk through the place.  But
unless your hardware is a lot better than mine, even a crappy datacenter
is going to be a whole lot more reliable than x86 hardware.  I like cheap.)

So I've been looking around.  I found some ridicioulously good prices
at egihosting  for 20A circuts, and very fair bandwidth prices.    they
are in at SVTIX in san jose.  the big problem here is that they don't
allow cross connects from other providers (which in my experience
means that once they have you locked in, they will screw you on bandwidth
charges.)

I'm asking SVTIX for a direct quote, we'll see what they have to say.

But yeah.  I want to play with BGP and peering... this means I need access
to cheap bandwidth so I can get my usage up to something worth peering
with without breaking my budget, and I need to get access to more than one
provider, and once my usage is up, I need to get access to something like
metroPAIX or some other major exchange.

[1] this is usually what I tell the boss after she has me interview someone
who isn't very good.