[conspire] Debian documentation in DocBook format

Ken Bernard kenbernard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:36:32 PDT 2008

Hello all -

Questions:
Is Debian using DocBook as a format for its Documentation?
How is that format opened?

I am finding that the manuals I would like to access are in
DocBook XML format. When I tried to view them I found out that
I need to install OpenJade. The DocBook and the OpenJade
install HOWTO's have a laundry list of other packages that are
needed.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/text/DocBook-OpenJade-SGML-XML-HOWTO
  <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/text/DocBook-OpenJade_SBML-XML-HOWTO>
Is using DocBook now official on the part of the Debian distro
documentation? If so,
is there a single app. that will open this format? (Browsers return an XML
file error)

I got the (above) impression from the README in the manual I tried to open:

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/installation-guide-i386

"Here is the new manual. It is in DocBook XML format, which is
becoming the new standard for documentation. The advantages include
more precise tagging, figure and table support, and a very strongly
supported toolchain. There is a fairly brief cheatsheet.xml here which
will probably tell you all you need to know, especially if you've
worked with debiandoc before. The Definitive Guide to DocBook by Norm
Walsh is indispensable for figuring out why your tags don't work the
way you think they should:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/docbook/chapter/book/docbook.html

For more information about the manual, see:
http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/

All help is welcome! Send suggestions to the debian-boot list. Patches
can be submitted against the package installation-guide.

Last update: 09 July 2006"

Ken Bernard