[conspire] (forw) Re: [ILUG] Android gone Free

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Tue Oct 28 19:11:49 PDT 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:09:17 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> Interesting note about the G1:  As expected, those evil fsckers at
> T-Mobile have made it be a functionally DRMed, jailed appliance. And so
> have Nokia with their Symbian smartphones.
>
> TiVoisation of open-source operating systems, anyone?  RMS is shown
> right yet again.

>From what I heard before T-Mo picked up Android, it was already like
that. This, if anything, ensures that OpenMoko is NOT dead in the water.
It also brings up the interesting irony that the mostly-proprietary EZX
and MAGX platforms from Motorola are effectively more free and open than
Android. (Reminder: I once successfully booted the OpenMoko userspace
with a self-built kernel on my EZX/JUIX-based A910, all with nothing more
than a bog-standard mini-USB cable.)