[conspire] problems connecting to internet

roger at rogerchrisman.com roger at rogerchrisman.com
Sun Nov 16 18:46:29 PST 2008

Probably not your situation but I mention the following on the off chance.

When I upgraded my laptop (Compaq Presario X1000 w/ Intel PRO/Wireless
2200BG) to
      Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
my laptop's wireless stopped working. Instead of struggling with tech
stuff that quickly gets over my novice head I just commented that new
kernels stanza out in /boot/grub/menu.lst so that my default boot
stanza is what it was before that upgrade
      Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-18-generic
and that continues to work for me.

Myself I don't know much about trouble shooting this kind of thing. I
guess in my situation above I would start by examining output of
'dmesg' after booting into my troubled kernel 2.6.24-19 and look for
error messages relating to wireless. But for now I just boot the older
kernel.

Good luck,

Roger

Laptop --  Compaq Presario X1000
w/ wireless card --  Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network
Connection (rev 05)