[conspire] problems connecting to internet

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sun Nov 16 02:33:52 PST 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 08:22:13 +0200, freepalestin @dslextreme.com wrote:

> I tried the Ubuntu and Fedora 9 live CDs - I could not connect with
> either. This is truly frustrating. I can't figure out what happened to
> my laptop. I did let other people check email. I can't figure what
> someone could have possibly done to my laptop to have disabled
> connecting.

The primary reason I did not respond to this when I first saw it almost
two weeks ago was that I could not think of what the answer might be. Now
it occurs to me: Fedora kernel updates. Some time ago, Fedora began to
ship the newer ath5k and ath9k drivers to replace Madwifi, but used
versions of ath5k and ath9k that did not work on all the same hardware as
Madwifi. A current version of ath5k should work fine for what you have,
but to make use of it, you'll need an unofficial Fedora kernel from here:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/userinfo?userID=388
Note that the Power/Link LED for wi-fi will not operate with ath5k, where
it did with Madwifi.

> If anyone has any thoughts as to what I can try or what logs I should
> check, please let me know. Keep in mind I am not seeing posts to
> conspire only posts directly to me. As far as I know I have not
> unsubscribed to the conspire list.

Eh, opposite issue here (of my own making). Could somebody please forward
this to Darlene?