[conspire] New Box

Philip Martin phillip.martin at gmail.com
Mon May 26 22:34:06 PDT 2008

the 100mhzsteps is talking about the 'step' size that your CPU can
take for power management purposes.

i.e. if your CPU is 2.6 GHz (which, if memory serves, the 5200+ is)
your CPU could, in theory take 100 MHz steps down (2.6, 2.5, 2.4, etc,
all the way down to 1 GHz) to balance performance and power
consumption.

If you'd like to make sure your processors scale up well with load you
can execute something like:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null

in a terminal window and cat /proc/cpuinfo in another and watch the
'cpu MHz' line (or: watch -n1 'grep "cpu MHz" /proc/cpuinfo'  (Ctrl-C
to quit)) and make sure it goes from 1000 up to something around
2600ish.

-Philip