[conspire] OLPC, Africa, Future Salon TOMORROW May 22 Thursday 6-9pm SAP Labs Palo Alto

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Wed May 21 02:22:49 PDT 2008

Here's a great chance to meet someone from half way around the earth
whos community might benefit from the OLPC, & get some insights about
their community.  I thought people interested in OLPC &/or other
cultures might find this talk interesting.

I'm just sending this to svlug, cabal=conspire & ed cherlin cause I'm
too busy to send it elsewhere.  If you know other local OLPC or other
people or lists that might be interested, it's up to you to notify them
& I encourage you to do so. (Like, for instance, doesn't san fran lug
have a bunch of people interested in this? Isn't there some local olpc
meeting? Are the baypiggies possibly interested? OLPC afficianados, it's
up to you from here.)

=====
http://www.futuresalon.org/2008/05/may-future-salo.html
http://www.futuresalon.org/

May Future Salon with Kenyan Maasai Warrior and Chief
Thursday 22nd of May 6-7pm networking 7-9pm talk. Please RVSP:
http://snurl.com/284i3

In a time of accelerating change it is of great importance to decide
which of our traditions we will keep and which ones we throw overboard
as not fitting into our new environment. It is also really important to
understand others in our global community, to account for cultural
differences, and find ways to ease people into this changing
environment.

We are really fortunate to host Kenyan Maasai tribal warrior and chief
Salaton Ole’ Ntutu to shed some light on these questions.

Salaton Ole’ Ntutu is a shaman from the nomadic Maasai tribe, where he
trained in the age-old tradition to become a skilled warrior who can
survive among wild animals in the harsh and challenging African Savanna.
 Salaton spent seven years in the African bush, from the age of 14,
surviving with only a blanket and a spear.  He now trains young warriors
to carry on the Maasai tradition, while looking after his village. He
continues to live in the traditional ways of his proud and fascinating
people, including always wearing the traditional attire of the Maasai,
carrying hand-made weapons for hunting and self-defense against buffalo,
lions, and other aggressive wildlife, eating traditional foods, living
in a hut of sticks and dung, herding cattle and goats, and so on.

In addition to leading a village, Salaton works on social and economic
issues pertaining to his tribe. He built a rescue shelter to protect
young girls from the common, but illegal, practice of female genital
mutilation (FGM) and to promote the idea of alternative rites of
passage. He is also involved in education about HIV/AIDS and monogamy,
and in health and sanitation projects. He supports widows in his tribe
who would otherwise find it very difficult to support themselves.
Through his tremendous knowledge of African wildlife, he has contributed
significantly towards Kenya’s community and tourist industry. He also
helps to facilitate the in-country work of the Asante Africa Foundation,
which builds and equips schools, and sponsors secondary education in
Kenya and in neighboring Tanzania.

Salaton is in the United States to forge a link between his tribal
community and ours. He hopes to educate us on the ways of his people,
and to educate his own people on sustainable development and
conservation processes of land used to ensure protection of future
generations. During his visit, Salaton is  speaking to youth and adults
in the U.S. about his culture and background, including traditions,
rites of passage, and the life of a warrior.  He will speak to us and
will answer questions about these and related topics.

===
SAP Labs North America, Building D, Room Southern Cross or Cafeteria
depending on number of RSVPs. SAP is located at 3410 Hillview Avenue,
Palo Alto, CA 94304[map]. Free and open to the public. Please spread the
word and invite others, but be sure to RSVP so we know how many people
to expect.  This event will be appropriate and interesting for
school-age children, who are welcome to join us. Please RSVP:
http://snurl.com/284i3

If you can't join in person we will webcast the event and tape it too.
Point your Quicktime viewer to the following address:
rtsp://207.105.30.90/salon.sdp

  john_re at fastmail.us