[conspire] How does changing CABAL to 1-9 pm sound?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat May 3 08:52:08 PDT 2008

On Thu, 01 May 2008 18:51:28 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:

> However, lately SVLUG has needed to find new space for its installfests,
> which for historical and site-requirements reasons were (most recently)
> 11am to 4pm.  I've offered to solve their problem ("they" being mostly
> "us", anyway) by letting the SVLUG event occur on a CABAL day, the
> installfest being basically what we've been doing twice a month since
> January 1998, anyway.

That may have been when CABALs began at the CoffeeNet, but that was
definitely not the current CABAL. When that venue was no longer available,
the current arrangement was substituted in haste, and as more and more
attendees began to realize that it was a permanent arrangement (which,
luckily, I didn't for several years), they stopped attending. History is
now repeating itself. IIRC, the first CABAL to get together in West Menlo
Park was in November 2000. That was the one time (at the time) that I
decided not to check the website before heading over, because by that
time, I knew the 2nd/4th Saturday schedule well. I carried the 19" (18"
viewable) ViewSonic E790 cathode-ray tube monitor (and Power Macintosh G4
[AGP Graphics])to 744 Harrison Street, only to find nobody there. Puzzled,
I went all the way back and checked the website to find that there was now
a notice of the new address. Since CABAL was now half-over, I decided to
wait until the next one to further examine the vagaries of KPPP, by which
time, I got it working on my own, anyway.

Now, the more distance-challenged SVLUG installfest regulars, including
core volunteers such as Margaret, may be expected to stop attending, just
like CABAListas did seven years ago. So, rather than having a single
point of failure (an installfest coordinator), I propose that at the next
SVLUG general meeting, there be an open call for nominations of possible
future installfest venues, which may then all be discussed at one of the
interim Consortium of All Silicon Valley GNU/Linux installfests.