[conspire] question on Biostar P4M890-M7 Based on the VIA P4M890+VT8237A chipsets

K Sandoval indigo.kai at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 11:25:37 PDT 2008

Hiya Everyone!!!

Ok, It looks like I might be in over my head here.

I did some research for the motherboard and chipset that I have and I
don't think the drivers for this motherboard /chipset are ready yet.

Biostar P4M890-M7 Socket 775 Motherboard
Based on the VIA P4M890+VT8237A chipsets

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3176993

I did searching on the chipset names with linux driver and found these links.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=35&CatID=2830&SubCatID=169

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=25&CatID=2580&SubCatID=101

http://www.viaarena.com/
(note the New Embedded and Linux Support Packages webpage is no longer
available???.)

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=1&NCatID=212

http://www.avalue.com.tw/products/ESM-CN700.cfm
I am not sure if this page involves my chipset, I saw the VIA CN700 /
VT8237R+ chipset, and I am interested in the  VT8237R+ chipset.

it was the fine print at the bottom that caught my eye

Founded in 2000, Avalue is one of the world's leading designs and
manufactures of PC-based industrial computer products. We offer
Embedded System, Embedded PC, Single Board Computer, Industrial PC,
Industrial computer,Gaming Motherboard, Industrial Motherboards with
support packages on Windows CE (WinCE.NET), XP Embedded (XPe), Linux
and ROM-DOS. Our product lines include the X86 platform from Pentium
III to Pentium 4, utilizing CPUs such as the AMD Geode, LX800, Ultra
Low Power, VIA (CX, CN), INTEL Celeron and Pentium-M, core 2 duo,
945GM, GM965. Avalue's products are used in the Gaming, POS/POI,
Kiosk, Medical, Industrial Automation, Network Communication,
Entertainment, Data acquisition applications.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=25&CatID=2580&SubCatID=164

Can someone help me figure out if this motherboard / chipset is
actually Linux compatible?

Am I trying to put the horse before the cart?  Or should I wait 4 or 5
months and see if drivers become available?

Thanks.

Kai
Ms.Kai Sandoval

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/677/a41