[conspire] Inserting Ads Into Message Postings?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 6 23:14:05 PST 2008

> I believe I said this by pointing out the lack of a wildcard capability.

...while otherwise ignoring the entire contex of this discussion, and
pretending as if static host mappings were a suitable solution.

> > Which reminds me, my brief re-reading of Dnsmasq documentation
> > suggests that one _cannot_, in fact, in any general sense do full
> > authoritative DNS for domains; it appears that one can merely declare
> > local definitions for specific hostnames that one wishes valid within
> > one's NATted LAN.  In other words, not really any improvement over
> > /etc/hosts entries.
>
> That is incorrect; the documentation is deficient there.

OK.  I was going only by what I found in the FAQ, online manpage copies,
etc., which weren't really clear on that point.  However, one should
remember that the target audience is the small home or business LAN
running a single-IP (often dynamically assigned), and wanting to have
reliable access to public DNS plus a modest amount of local namespace
abilities.  It's not surprising that they don't properly document uses
outside that target model.

> Having the server be authoritative seems superfluous.

...and also impossible -- in the case of advertising domains.  (I said
my nameserver proclaims itself authoritative for googlesyndication.com,
etc., not that it _is_ authoritative for them.)