[conspire] Inserting Ads Into Message Postings?

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu Mar 6 21:25:36 PST 2008

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 21:06:42 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Your suggestion _would_ be relevant if the goal were to redefine IP
> assignments for a specific set of known hostnames.  However, you
> may recall that we were talking about asserting local control of entire
> advertising _domains_.

I believe I said this by pointing out the lack of a wildcard capability.

> Which reminds me, my brief re-reading of Dnsmasq documentation
> suggests that one _cannot_, in fact, in any general sense do full
> authoritative DNS for domains; it appears that one can merely declare
> local definitions for specific hostnames that one wishes valid within
> one's NATted LAN.  In other words, not really any improvement over
> /etc/hosts entries.

That is incorrect; the documentation is deficient there. If you make a
local definition for host foo.net, it will also apply to bar.foo.net,
quux.foo.net, etc. This will be valid for any machine anywhere that uses
this server for its DNS, regardless of what network it's on. Having the
server be authoritative seems superfluous.