[conspire] Multiple versions of avahi ???

Ken Bernard kenbernard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 19:21:57 PDT 2008

Hello all -

I am trying to install a new HP officejet multifunction, it is connected to
my small home network by Ethernet. On the computer running Fedora 9 (which
is an upgrade from Fedora 7) when I try to install the hplip software hp
recommends for Linux I am getting some difficulties.
First the hplip won't install because it depends on cups-devel.
So when I tried to install cups-devel I got this message from apt-get:
install cups-devel: * see below.

What is avahi  ?

Lugging a desktop and all it paraphernalia to CABAL is very difficult for
me, so if someone give me
an idea on how to proceed with this I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Ken Bernard

* The output message from apt-get install:

 [root at localhost ~]# apt-get install cups-devel
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get --fix-broken install' to correct these:
  avahi#0.6.17-1.fc7: Depends: libexpat.so.0
  cups-devel: Depends: gnutls-devel
  multisync: Depends: libopensync.so.0 but it is not installable
             Depends: libosengine.so.0 but it is not installable
  multisync-gui: Depends: libopensync.so.0 but it is not installable
                 Depends: libosengine.so.0 but it is not installable
  php: Depends: libcrypto.so.6 but it is not installable
       Depends: libssl.so.6 but it is not installable
  php-cli: Depends: libcrypto.so.6 but it is not installable
           Depends: libssl.so.6 but it is not installable
  php-ldap: Depends: liblber-2.3.so.0 but it is not installable
            Depends: libldap-2.3.so.0 but it is not installable
  php-mysql: Depends: libcrypto.so.6 but it is not installable
             Depends: libssl.so.6 but it is not installable
  redhat-artwork-kde: Depends: libkdecorations.so.1 but it is not
installable
                      Depends: redhat-artwork (= 7.0.0-11.fc7) but it is not
installable
  system-config-firewall: Obsoletes: system-config-securitylevel
W: There are multiple versions of "avahi" in your system.

This package won't be cleanly updated, unless you leave
only one version. To leave multiple versions installed,
you may remove that warning by setting the following
option in your configuration file:

RPM::Allow-Duplicated { "^avahi$"; };

To disable these warnings completely set:

RPM::Allow-Duplicated-Warning "false";

E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get --fix-broken install' with no packages
(or specify a solution).