[conspire] NYLXS Press Release on the OLPC Project

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Jul 14 04:11:12 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 07:42:01PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
>

> It put me in mind of the caption on _Yediot Aharonot's_ newspaper photo
> when John Paul II was the first Pope since Peter to visit the Holy Land:
> The photo showed him embracing Prime Minister Begin -- and the caption
> helpfully explained that John Paul was the one wearing a kipa.

I spoke to my son yesterday and he goes to a Chofetz Chaim School and
it apears that it is true as you reported that Rav Kamenetski did not
get a traditional Smicha as you had acurately described it.

I was wrong.  They had a dispute as to the quality of the learning
and it seems to somewhat continue today where in a Chofetz Chaim school
they will not give Smichah until you have at least 7 years of post
"high school" rabinical learning.

It seems to have been a quality issue, but I'm looking more into it.

Ruben

© Copyright for the Digital Millennium