[conspire] bukuntu dist-upgrade

John Andrews jla1000 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 26 11:58:19 PST 2008

	I have an old imac G3 which I installed Kubuntu Dapper on.
Friday I upgraded from dapper to edgy then to fiesty.It took 7-8 hours to
complete everything.I used the terminal method. The ubuntu web site has good
directions.There were quite a few things to work through, too many to
mention, and I have never done a distro upgrade before.
	This morning I did one more round of sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade and got about 100 more packages for fiesty that it didn't give
me last night.Then one more of the above which returned 0 available.
 I now had a working fiesty. Then I rebooted and it went dead, its started to
boot up then didn't finish.It was sort of frustrating after all that work and
having a working fiesty.However after about 8 tries of having to pull the
plug on it, it booted to a text log in.
	I did sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and got it working again. I hope it
reboots this time. This command is  very good one to know.Maybe I'll get
brave/lucky and try a fiesty to gutsy upgrade.
	I didn't think Ubuntu supported ppc past dapper. I learned alot. The first
download I got 616mb in 24m23sec on Comcast. I thought that was pretty fast.