[conspire] Preparing dual-boot system

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:04:38 PST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 3:40 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting hirohama at gmail.com (hirohama at gmail.com):
>
> > I'd like some recommendations on how to prepare my hard drives so that
> > I can install a multi-boot system next Saturday; I'll probably arrive
> > around 8 PM, so I'd like to do whatever preparatory work that I can
> > ahead of time.
>
> We'll be glad to have you.
>
> > I'll probably just go with a few flavors of GNU/Linux and maybe a free
> > version of BSD. I'm new to GNU/Linux, so I don't know what
> > distributions might appeal to me most.
>
> You know, my _own_ preference would be to load one distro at a time, and
> after a week or so, wipe it out and put something else on.  It makes
> things less confusing, in my own experience.  (You would of course want
> to acquire installation media for each thingie you want to try out.)
> Accordingly, none of my machines ever has more than a single OS at any
> given time.  However, plenty of people seem to like multibooting.

Among us, we have a substantial variety of Live CDs of Linux distros,
and of course you can download numerous images from the InterWebs.
This seems to be the easiest way to try out a range of options.

Has anybody seen the Gentoo Live CD? Put it into your machine, boot,
and wait three weeks? ;-)

Which distros were you thinking of looking at?
--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/