[conspire] Ubuntu Unable to process updates

K Sandoval indigo.kai at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 17:12:14 PST 2008

Quoting Rick and Answers from Kai

Hi, Kai.  Just as a heads-up:  You were quite understandably doing
package operations the "Ubuntu way", using the graphical
"update-manager" GNOME application.   By contrast, if I were to help you
in any depth with this problem, I'd probably end up having you work
through it with apt-get and other command-line tools.  This is because
I have those tools in front of me, and they have more predictable
behaviour, fewer dependencies, and better error reporting.

Kai:  I definitely understand, here we go.
Thank you Rick!!!

Rick: That having been said, can you report back the results of;

$  ls -l /var/cache/apt/lists

command issued:
student at student-desktop:~$ ls -l /var/cache/apt/lists

results:
ls: /var/cache/apt/lists: No such file or directory

and

$  ls -l /var/lib/dpkg/status

command issued:
student at student-desktop:~$ ls -l /var/lib/dpkg/status

results:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1130422 2008-02-28 21:38 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$  ls -l /var/lib/dpkg/available

command issued:
student at student-desktop:~$ ls -l /var/lib/dpkg/available

results:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1095312 2008-02-28 21:38 /var/lib/dpkg/available

(Those concern the "package lists" and "status file" referred to above.)

Also, what is the contents of the /etc/apt/sources.list file?

Answer:
# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## universe WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu security
## team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security multiverse

Also, what does "df -h" report?  (This gives us a quick check as to
whether you're out of disk space.)

command issued:
student at student-desktop:~$ df -h

results:
/dev/sda1              55G  3.0G   49G   6% /
varrun               1010M  100K 1010M   1% /var/run
varlock              1010M     0 1010M   0% /var/lock
procbususb           1010M  108K 1010M   1% /proc/bus/usb
udev                 1010M  108K 1010M   1% /dev
devshm               1010M     0 1010M   0% /dev/shm
lrm                  1010M   33M  977M   4%
/lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/volatile

Thanks!!!

Ms.Kai Sandoval

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/1/677/a41