[conspire] newbie question on file permissions of home directory

mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Sat Feb 23 14:33:07 PST 2008

Kai wrote...

I'm not sure about the "spare drive" part but...
If you want to change permissions on a directory here is an example
showing how...
Become root somehow...

Here's a listing of my home directory with a file owned by root; I want
to change it to being owned by me.

$ls -la
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      4096 Feb 23 14:25 silliness/
drwx------  2 mark mark      4096 Feb 21 15:43 .ssh/
drwxr-xr-x  4 mark mark      4096 Nov 10 07:31 StormyFerry/

Use the chown (change owner) command. The -R means to recursively change
ownership for everything inside the directory.

[root at localhost mark]# chown -R mark:mark silliness/
[root at localhost mark]# ls -la
total 2031848
drwx------ 39 mark mark      4096 Feb 23 14:25 ./
drwxr-xr-x  5 root root      4096 Jan 21 11:13 ../

-rw-rw-r--  1 mark mark 456908800 Jan 25 12:56
sidux-2007-04.5-200712260120-eros_xmas-kde-lite-i386.iso
drwxr-xr-x  2 mark mark      4096 Feb 23 14:25 silliness/
drwx------  2 mark mark      4096 Feb 21 15:43 .ssh/
drwxr-xr-x  4 mark mark      4096 Nov 10 07:31 StormyFerry/
drwxrwxr-x  2 mark mark      4096 Jan 25 18:48 .superkaramba/
[root at localhost mark]#

Hope that helps.