[conspire] TTS (was Re: Link to Online Computer Software Training and other things.)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 13:35:13 PST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008 4:15 PM, K Sandoval <indigo.kai at gmail.com> wrote:

> p.s.  I am also interested in a text to speech app.  I found orca and
> will do some research.
> Does any here have any experience with text to speech apps for Ubuntu
> or Linux in general?

The multilingual espeak engine is used in the Speak activity on the
OLPC XO. It is available for Ubuntu, like all XO packages, along with
the Sugar environment.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Speak

We intend to add TTS to all XO activities that handle text. It will be
quite valuable for literacy (including adult literacy) and language
learning.