[conspire] (forw) Reiser trial: DNA tests partially flubbed, defence motion for mistrial

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:38:14 PST 2008

hi

On Feb 5, 2008 4:59 PM, Deirdre Saoirse Moen <deirdre at deirdre.net> wrote:

> My problem with the case is that I'm not convinced beyond a
> reasonable doubt that Nina's even dead, much less that Hans killed her.

+1

With out a body, there is too much speculation.  If we are going to deprive
someone of liberty, we should have a body and a cause of death tied beyond
reasonable doubt to the accused.

I have been uncomfortable with this case on several levels.  On one hand, it
does appear that Hans did some unusual things around the time of Nina's
death.  So it is horrible to think that Hans might have killed her and
gotten away with it.

On the other hand, it is more horrible to think that something else has
happened, and that Hans will lose his liberty without a body and a causal
link to him.  Conviction based on innuendo is scary to me.  Nina's death, if
she is dead, is sufficiently tragic.  But to compound her loss with a skewed
conviction only aggravates the tragedy of her loss, IMHO.